Tuesday, November 29, 2005

 

Caserta Palace

Caserta Palace is perhaps one of the best palaces in Europe and considered to be second only to the palace in Versailles. Upon walking up to the palace we were amazed by the enormous size of the palace. The façade of the palace is supposedly used as the backdrop of a scene in the movie Star Wars (Episode IV). I enjoyed Star Wars but not to the extent that I would know trivia like this…this trivia is something I read about the palace.

We took our place in line to pay the entrance fee. Personal space is non-existent in Napoli. While standing in line, minding my own business, I felt something against my butt. I thought, okay the person behind me accidentally hit me. About a millisecond after that I feel the person’s entire body against my backside. Okay pervert back off! Turns out the lady behind me was just making sure nobody would take cuts in front of her (at least that’s what I want to believe). To make sure nobody took cuts in from of me, I too inch closer to the person in front of me. Now who’s the pervert? Furthermore, I think the Italians in line were on a deodorant strike. Talk about ripe! We quickly paid the entrance fee and off we went.

We were only allowed to see about a quarter of the palace and that took several hours to go through. The inside of the palace was adorned with marble, paintings, frescos, statues, antique furniture, gold, etc. It’s best to view our photos to gain an appreciation. We were also allowed to see the rest of the estate, which included gardens, lakes, fountains, and even a small castle for the royal children to play in. This “small” castle was bigger than most American homes. The estate was huge and it was another humid and sunny day. To cool off we ran through the sprinklers that were watering the lawns. People of all ages where doing it so pride took a back seat to cooling off. Finally at the end of the hike there was a strategically placed ice cream stand. I say it from a distance and rejoiced. But as it turned out the stand was closed. We joined a group of sweaty bodies standing around in disbelief. Since then we have seen numerous palaces and this one still has them all beat.

Comments:
I really appreciate you sharing your adventures and pictures with everyone. I am truly happy that Patrick and Su-chun are enjoying the journey of life together in such a beautiful place.
Buscalo mijo!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?