Friday, January 06, 2006
Internet Service "Difficulties"
Okay, I know some of you think that our stories are too crazy or embellished to believe so we've included a friend's story about the difficulties with getting his internet service fixed. Below is the story as written by our friend:
"I am going to tell you the story about our phone service, computer and Internet line at home. Our phone service went down, 10 to 11 weeks ago. Later Italia telcom (the Italian phone company) fixed the line which was caused by a short circuit in the line. The short circuit was on Telecom’s side, not ours.
Two weeks after that the Internet line "ADSL" went down. After many calls to Italia telecom "bear in mind the language barrier" they would keep checking the line and the diagnoses from a remote location is that there we are receiving a signal at the house. Since we are receiving a signal at the house, they cancel the trouble ticket. Okay so we have a signal but it still doesn’t work. So you have to call again and report the problem and thus opening another ticket.. and so the story continues... for about 7 to 8 weeks.
Late in the week the technician called my friend (an Italian national) because the technician doesn't speak English claiming that I missed an appointment at my house to fix the problem. So I had to leave work immediately and meet the technician at an undisclosed location close to our house (this undisclosed location is conveniently located to a cement factory mixing/grinding plant). He was angry because he said we had an appointment and he went to the house and no one was there when in fact we did not have an appointment . So now I’ve got the technician pissed off. So my friend called and asked him to wait for me to until I get there. The technician finds it in his heart to wait for me. I was worried that when I get there he will be gone..what a waste of time that will be and then try to schedule another appointment. Driving conditions on the Tangenziale defies every driving rule in the civilized world.
20 minutes later I get there and we both go to our house, he comes upstairs and first tests the ADSL line. He claims we have a good line, then he diagnoses the modem and he finds out the modem is broken. To fix the modem he attempts to remedy this by banging it on the floor with enough force that plastic pieces are flying off the edge of the modem. I’m witnessing this display of wisdom and I think if it did work it would be a Napolitano miracle. During this “fixing” of the modem, I learned a few new choice curse words in Italian from the technician. Frustrated with his first attempts of “fixing” the modem, he continued on his banging rampage and to his amazement the modem still did not work.
Then he goes to his car and finds a used modem, plugs that one in and it does not work either. Another trip to his car and another used modem that finally we get a signal. Turns out the diagnose is a broken modem (broken before the technician banged it).
He gave me a disk and said I have to install this software on my own and quickly leaves. I was so happy that after 9 to 10 weeks I had an internet connection at the house and made the mistake of agreeing to install the software myself.
So when I tried to install the software, come to find out the disk was damaged and scratched so badly that the computer will not read the disk... now I’m pissed off big time!! So freaking mad at Italia Telecom... So I go to work the next day and ask my friend to report the problem again and start a new trouble ticket # to follow up on. In my mind, this could be the start of another marathon of tickets and possible weeks of delay.
Today is La Bufana, an Italian Holiday, and the phone unexpectantly rings it is my Italian friend from home saying that the technician from Italia Telecom just called to say he’s on his way to my house fix the problem. Problem is that he can’t find my house. So he’s an Italian and can’t find my house so I’m already suspicious. So the technician calls my friend again then he calls me finally I had to wait for him outside so he can see me and find the house.
My God could this be true…a Telecom technician at my house on an Italian Holiday? By the way it is just a coincidence that I have taken a day off to relax before the grind next week.He turned out to be a nice guy who spoke a little English. So between my broken Italian and his broken English he manages to install a BRAND NEW, straight out of the box modem. He tested the ADSL line and made all the connection again and manages to re-install the software successfully. He even gave me a new software disk that works... and NOW I HAVE INTERNET SERVICE AT HOME. Yeah!!! :)
This whole problem with Italia telecom took only 10 to 11 weeks to fix. So I asked the technician why are you working on an Italian Holiday? He said lots of people like yourself have problem with their ADSL Internet line so the company asked him to work overtime. He’s getting paid double the money today. So he agreed to work a full day. Lucky me. Does anyone believe this story??? Where are we living??? Yes Naples. Considered a first-world-nation most people. You be the judge.
Oh by the way, we’ve been paying full price for this service the entire time it’s been down!! The thought of asking for a discount or refund is out of the question. The locals are used to this way of living and often comment how us Americans complaining too much about being impatient. You can decide for yourself if I’m “complaining” too much. So my response is, if you respond to problems the way you drive on the freeway “crazy fast”, then no one would have to wait 10 weeks to get reconnected!!"
"I am going to tell you the story about our phone service, computer and Internet line at home. Our phone service went down, 10 to 11 weeks ago. Later Italia telcom (the Italian phone company) fixed the line which was caused by a short circuit in the line. The short circuit was on Telecom’s side, not ours.
Two weeks after that the Internet line "ADSL" went down. After many calls to Italia telecom "bear in mind the language barrier" they would keep checking the line and the diagnoses from a remote location is that there we are receiving a signal at the house. Since we are receiving a signal at the house, they cancel the trouble ticket. Okay so we have a signal but it still doesn’t work. So you have to call again and report the problem and thus opening another ticket.. and so the story continues... for about 7 to 8 weeks.
Late in the week the technician called my friend (an Italian national) because the technician doesn't speak English claiming that I missed an appointment at my house to fix the problem. So I had to leave work immediately and meet the technician at an undisclosed location close to our house (this undisclosed location is conveniently located to a cement factory mixing/grinding plant). He was angry because he said we had an appointment and he went to the house and no one was there when in fact we did not have an appointment . So now I’ve got the technician pissed off. So my friend called and asked him to wait for me to until I get there. The technician finds it in his heart to wait for me. I was worried that when I get there he will be gone..what a waste of time that will be and then try to schedule another appointment. Driving conditions on the Tangenziale defies every driving rule in the civilized world.
20 minutes later I get there and we both go to our house, he comes upstairs and first tests the ADSL line. He claims we have a good line, then he diagnoses the modem and he finds out the modem is broken. To fix the modem he attempts to remedy this by banging it on the floor with enough force that plastic pieces are flying off the edge of the modem. I’m witnessing this display of wisdom and I think if it did work it would be a Napolitano miracle. During this “fixing” of the modem, I learned a few new choice curse words in Italian from the technician. Frustrated with his first attempts of “fixing” the modem, he continued on his banging rampage and to his amazement the modem still did not work.
Then he goes to his car and finds a used modem, plugs that one in and it does not work either. Another trip to his car and another used modem that finally we get a signal. Turns out the diagnose is a broken modem (broken before the technician banged it).
He gave me a disk and said I have to install this software on my own and quickly leaves. I was so happy that after 9 to 10 weeks I had an internet connection at the house and made the mistake of agreeing to install the software myself.
So when I tried to install the software, come to find out the disk was damaged and scratched so badly that the computer will not read the disk... now I’m pissed off big time!! So freaking mad at Italia Telecom... So I go to work the next day and ask my friend to report the problem again and start a new trouble ticket # to follow up on. In my mind, this could be the start of another marathon of tickets and possible weeks of delay.
Today is La Bufana, an Italian Holiday, and the phone unexpectantly rings it is my Italian friend from home saying that the technician from Italia Telecom just called to say he’s on his way to my house fix the problem. Problem is that he can’t find my house. So he’s an Italian and can’t find my house so I’m already suspicious. So the technician calls my friend again then he calls me finally I had to wait for him outside so he can see me and find the house.
My God could this be true…a Telecom technician at my house on an Italian Holiday? By the way it is just a coincidence that I have taken a day off to relax before the grind next week.He turned out to be a nice guy who spoke a little English. So between my broken Italian and his broken English he manages to install a BRAND NEW, straight out of the box modem. He tested the ADSL line and made all the connection again and manages to re-install the software successfully. He even gave me a new software disk that works... and NOW I HAVE INTERNET SERVICE AT HOME. Yeah!!! :)
This whole problem with Italia telecom took only 10 to 11 weeks to fix. So I asked the technician why are you working on an Italian Holiday? He said lots of people like yourself have problem with their ADSL Internet line so the company asked him to work overtime. He’s getting paid double the money today. So he agreed to work a full day. Lucky me. Does anyone believe this story??? Where are we living??? Yes Naples. Considered a first-world-nation most people. You be the judge.
Oh by the way, we’ve been paying full price for this service the entire time it’s been down!! The thought of asking for a discount or refund is out of the question. The locals are used to this way of living and often comment how us Americans complaining too much about being impatient. You can decide for yourself if I’m “complaining” too much. So my response is, if you respond to problems the way you drive on the freeway “crazy fast”, then no one would have to wait 10 weeks to get reconnected!!"