Thursday, May 25, 2006
Ya-chi & Heather’s Visit

Ever since Patrick left me in this hell hole…. I mean… he left me in Naples to start his new job in Germany; I have been super busy trying to do my day time job and also managing the household after hours. Not that we had ever had daily posts in the blog, but in the last few months, the gap in the posts have been getting larger and larger. Well, finally we had a few adventurous events (in a good way) lately that I can share with everyone. Ya-chi, my younger sister and Heather, one of my great friends from San Diego decided to visit Southern Italy and spend some time in my neighborhood. Ya-chi, who is an avid writer, kept a journal during the trip, so I will share her entries later on when she’s had a chance to edit her thoughts. For now I will just give a brief overview of their trip here.
According to Ya-chi, this trip has been in the planning stages almost from the moment she found out that I was moving to Naples last March. I think Ya-chi’s exact words were “I’m going next May, so get ready!” Well, anyone who knows Ya-chi know that once she makes up her mind, she works on getting it done. As soon as we nailed down the dates, the trip planning began in earnest. Below was our itinerary during their 10-day stay:
May 12: Land at Naples Airport at 11:50am. Wine tasting at Torre Gaia in the evening
May 13-14: Ischia trip
May 15: Visit Paestum (Greek temples)
May 16: Vesuvio & Herculeneum
May 17: Pompei & Sorrento
May 18: Taormina, Sicily
May 19: Taormina/Siracusa, Sicily
May 20: Siracusa/fly back to Naples at night
May 21: Naples Underground, fly back to the States at 10:40pm
Jammed pack 10-days, I would say….. this was probably the first trip that I had planned with visitors. Usually Patrick was the trip planner in the family when we are on travel with his parents. I must say, it was quite a bit of work, but very well worth it! More details from the trip forthcoming…..
Comments:
<< Home
Sounds like you ladies had fun on the 10-day excursion. How is Patrick enjoying Germany? My folks have been visiting us for the past 3 weeks, but they are leaving today to head back Stateside. Please keep us posted with everything... have Pat post with some of his Germany stories, too!
It was really nice to have family here for awhile. I'm only sorry that Patrick's family didn't get to visit while we're still in Italy. I'm hoping that when I move up to Germany we'll be able to explore more. Seems all we've been doing in the past year is moving, unpacking, moving again. May be this time we'll actually settle in one place for more than 1 year.... we'll see..
Can't wait to hear more details about everything....especially the opening line to your blog. Hey, I'd always recommend Japan! When Mike first got the offer for here, I honestly was not very excited. But, we've had a great time. We've seen so many things and experienced a culture that is SO different from anything that we were used to. One thing about Naples is that I can bet you have better weather than us. The Summer is supposed to be insanely hot and muggy. We are about to enter the second rainy season here too. WOOOPEE. Can you sense the sarcasm?! Also, would love to here more about Patrick in Germany. How is he enjoying it? I'm sure that you two miss each other. We've met a family that is scheduled to do an Embassy tour in Germany. We'd love to here some highlights.
Believe it or not, summers here are also insanely hot & humid too. This year, summer is arriving late. But I'm not complaining, because it feels somewhat like San Diego right now & I'll take any nice weather I can get. Although I have to say that we only have one rainy season, in the winter, for about 2-3 months. I'll be moving up to Germany next month and will be happy to provide any insights to your friend. From what I've heard from Patrick, things are not as convenient as the States. Things are not as turn-key, but all utilities (phone, electricity, DSL) will work and Germans are very law abiding citizen, may be a bit extreme than in the States.
Post a Comment
<< Home
