Saturday, July 15, 2006

 

Ya-chi's Italia Travel Journal: Day 3 Ischia Continued

I finally got to sleep in! I got up around 8 am and ate a large breakfast at the hotel with ham, croissant with powdered sugar, peaches and cappuccino. You might as well know now that I will be talking about food…a lot. Don’t read this while hungry.

We checked out of our hotel and took a bus tour around the island. Points of interests:
· Casamicciola Terme, where the hotel is, was one of the first area using thermal water for treatment and has the best water (strange that we didn’t go to a spa here).
· Ischia Porto is where our ferry dropped us off. This is actually a volcanic crater that used to hold fresh water until some emperor dredged out a channel to create a port.
· Castillo Aragonese where the original inhabitants of Ischia lived. It is now owned privately by one old man. Heather wishes she owned it or grew up there since she figured she’d have some awesome parties there.
· Maronti is a really nice beach where according to our guide you could bury a chicken in the sand and the thermal heat would cook it in one hour.

There’s only so much information you can retain so the bus took us up in the middle of nowhere for some limoncello, really nasty liquor made of lemons. Of course the real objective is for us rich Americans to buy, buy, and buy. Well it worked and we all bought something. I bought myself and mom a nice vase made in Ischia that didn’t look (quoting Su-chun) “like some kid drew it.”

We made it all the way around the island. I don’t remember much of it since we basically didn’t stop again (we must have took too much time at the tourist trap…I mean free limoncello shop). The bus dropped us back off at Casamicciola Terme where we followed our guide around like a lost puppy to a restaurant. Unfortunately, I didn’t write down what I ate there so I’m guessing some kind of seafood. Actually I think it was mussels and clams and it was very, very salty.

We made it back to the ferry and eventually wound up back at the base. We then drove to the Navy Support Site in the middle of nowhere and went to the exchange and then we saw MI-3 for a whopping $3 bucks. It wasn’t as bad as the second but I hate Tom Cruise even more now so it was barely tolerable.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?